State Locations & Jurisdictions
To find more about the areas we permit or to research a particular locations jurisdiction, please use the tools provided on this page .
- See latest updates on commercial activity regulations & protocols at Pololu ( Hawaii Island) by clicking on the DLNR button below, or on our DLNR page here.
- $.25/sf for any reserved area under DOBOR or State Park jurisdiction. For more information click on the DLNR link below.
- For more information on fees associated with your permit application, please choose one of the location categories buttons below.
Film Permit Procedures for Use of State-Administered Location
- The State of Hawaii Film Office processes film permit applications for the following state properties or facilities:
- Department of Accounting and General Services – state facilities, parking lots and state meters under their management;
- Department of Business, Economic Development and Tourism – state property under the Hawaii Community Development Authority and Natural Energy Lab of Hawaii;
- Department of Defense – facility at Diamond Head;
- Department of Hawaiian Home Lands – beaches and forestry areas;
- Department of Land and Natural Resources (DLNR) – beaches, parks, trails, forestry areas, small boat harbors and waters;
- Department of Public Safety – state jails and prisons
- Department of Transportation– airports, highways and commercial harbors;
- University of Hawaii – only Mauna Kea Observatory and Haleakala Observatory (for educational and scientific filming only);
- Judiciary – state courts
- Film permits and insurance are required for all filming activity, commercial, educational or non-profit projects which take place within the State’s jurisdiction. Film permits are not required for photography or video that is only for personal use or which takes place on private property.
- The State of Hawaii Film Office does NOT process film permits for the following state properties or facilities. Please contact these entities directly to inquire about their filming policies:
- Department of Education (Public Schools) – contact the school principal;
- State Libraries – contact the library;
- State of Hawaii Public Charter Schools – contact the school principal;
- University of Hawaii facilities, except as noted above.
State Location Resources
DLNR (Department of Land and Natural Resources)
beaches, parks, trails, forestry areas, small boat harbors and waters;
TMK Finder (Tax Map Key)
Public Land Trust Information System
DOT (Department of Transportation) airports, highways and commercial harbors;
County Film Offices – Honolulu, Maui (includes Molokai & Lanai), Kauai, Big Island (Hawai‘i Island)
Filming in Sensitive Locations
Ways to Determine your Locations’ Jurisdiction
TMK Finder (Tax Map Key)
Use the “TMK Finder” to determine the details of your locations’ jurisdiction using two methods:
- Use the map to manually zoom in on your location
- Fill in the TMK (Tax Map Key) number in the search bar to take you directly to your location’s parcel
NOTE: Be sure to expand the text box for full information of the “Lessee” owner by clicking “more info”
PLTIS (Public Land Trust Information System)
In order to use the PLTIS website, you must create your free profile to begin.
You can use this website to determine the details of your locations jurisdiction in three ways:
- Copy & Paste the location coordinates from Google Maps in the search bar
- Use the map to manually zoom in and find your location
- Fill in the TMK Number (Tax Map Key) in the search bar to take you directly to your locations parcel
NOTE: Be sure to expand the text box for full information of the “Lessee” owner by clicking on “more info”
- Weekend filming is highly discouraged if filming negatively impacts the general public, particularly at popular locations. However, requests for weekend filming will be considered on a case-by-case basis.
- Commercial filming is not allowed at the following locations:
- Heiau in Haena on Kauai
- Iolani Palace and grounds on Oahu
- Royal Mausoleum on Oahu
- Washington Place on Oahu