FILMING ON THE UNIVERSITY OF HAWAII-MANAGED LANDS ON MAUNAKEA
Please review the Center for Maunakea Stewardship’s film permit policy and send the following in ONE email to [email protected]. Complete application packets must be received at least two weeks prior to the intended activity:
- Completed Standard Film Permit Application with clear details about the production title, specific filming locations and time(s) onsite, equipment to be used, etc. ( also send to film office at [email protected] )
- Proof of payment of application fee, $200, via check payable to:“University of Hawaii at Hilo” and mailed to: Center for Maunakea Stewardship, 200 West Kawili Street, Hilo, HI 96720
- Proof of payment for Ranger guide, $100/hour, minimum two (2) hours travel, via check payable to: “University of Hawaii at Hilo” and mailed to: Center for Maunakea Stewardship, 200 West Kawili Street, Hilo, HI 96720
- Proof of insurance fulfilling CMS film permit policy
- Signed participant waivers, “Appendix 07B” (single participant) or “Appendix 07D” (multiple) for all onsite members
- All crewmembers must watch the Maunakea orientation, https://hilo.hawaii.edu/maunakea/stewardship/orientation, and successfully complete the quiz.
- All members must review the Heritage and Safety brochures.
- Drones are prohibited under the Administrative Rules (hawaii.edu); see HAR §20-26-29 Unmanned aerial vehicles, drones and air toys. Do not bring drones onto the premises.
- Any observatories the applicant intends to film must agree to be filmed in advance of filming.
- Contact individual observatories directly regarding any tour arrangements.