For all wedding photography & videography , you may obtain an O+A ePermit online HERE. If 1. the location you wish to shoot is NOT listed HERE then 2. please submit a Standard Application to our office at [email protected]
Depending on your locations jurisdiction , additional permits for your ceremony or elopement are required:
LD ( Land Division) : WIKI Permits are required for all elopement/ ceremonies (for beaches/unencumbered shorelines)
State Parks: All Wedding/Elopements will require a SUP (from State Parks). Needs to be submitted 45-days in advance. Will provide links to State Parks SUP application per Island. Find more on obtaining an SUP here.
DOFAW (Forestry): Locations may require a SUP for wedding/elopement activities. Agency will review and give feedback if one is necessary.
WIKI Permits (for beaches/unencumbered shorelines) –
NOTE: If you meet the requirements for a WIKI permit, a State Film permit will NOT be required.
If they do not meet all of the requirements i.e. they have more guests than allowed, or have additional props/decorations (no arches will be permitted), they will need a State Film permit for the photography portion in addition to the WIKI permit for the wedding/elopement activity.
WIKI Permit – Terms & Conditions
Special Use Permits (SUP)
- State Parks: All Wedding/Elopements will require a SUP (from State Parks). Needs to be submitted 45-days in advance. Will provide links to State Parks SUP application per Island. Find more on obtaining an SUP here.
- DOFAW (Forestry): Locations may require a SUP for wedding/elopement activities. Agency will review and give feedback if one is.
- County of Honolulu : For all wedding photography permit applications, you must go through the Parks Permit Office : 808.768.3440
- The O+A ePermit does NOT cover elopements/ceremonies
- You must always 1. pull a WIKI permit or 2. obtain an SUP for elopements/ceremonies on state lands
- Standard Film permit may be obtained for the photography portion if 1. the locatin is NOT listed on the O+A location list or 2. you don’t meet the qualifications of the O+A ePermit (again, a WIKI or SUP permit will need to accompany the Standard Film Permit for the elopement/ceremony portion)
Q: Can I build an arch on the beach ?
A: For beaches under DLNR- Division of Land Management, you may NOT build an arch. For beaches under the jurisdiction of DLNR State Parks, this is a case by case basis and will be approved thorough the required SUP for the ceremony portion. County beaches will require you obtain a permit directly with the Parks Permit Office : 808.768.3440
Q: If the elopement is taking place on private property and photos on the beach afterwards , do I need a permit?
A: Yes, you will just need a permit for photography in this case. No additional permit is needed for the elopement/ceremony portion as it is not taking place on state lands.
Q: I do wedding photography all the time and often don’t have a lot of notice. What do you recommend?
A: We recommend you stick to the list of O+A locations we offer and the guidelines of the O+A permit . This way you can easily pull a permit within 2-3 days of your shoot. For elopements, a WIKI permit is always required to cover the ceremony as the O+A ePermit does not. You can also pull a WIKI permit for same day shoots/elopements.